What is The Smart Intersection, How Does It Work?
Other names of the smart intersection are “Adaptive intersection”, “dynamic intersection”, “intersection with camera”, “sensor intersection” , “smart traffic management system”, “fully adaptive traffic management system” and its basic definition is ; Detecting vehicle densities in all directions using vehicle counting cameras or vehicle counting sensors. After detecting the vehicle density, the durations of intersection changed dynamically for all directions. In other words, “green light times” in the traffic lights are determined automatically according to vehicle density. At normal signaled intersections, vehicle counts are performed manually for each hour of the day and loaded to the intersection controller by determining the optimal green times. Since these times are constant, the times do not change with changes in vehicle density. In smart intersection applications, times change according to density, so waiting times at the intersection are minimized. Minimizing the waiting times of vehicles at the junction not only saves time but also reduces the environmental damage through fuel savings and emissions reduction.
More than 50 cities are using smart intersection for 5 years in Turkey. Thanks to smart intersections, not only time optimization, but also intersection density and vehicle counting, monitoring and management of the entire intersection from the central system, remotely detecting malfunctions and taking measures are possible. The application in Turkey, waiting time reduced by 30% (according to intersection structure and capacity, it can change between 3% and 50%) thanks to smart intersections.
The equipment to be used for each intersection in smart intersection applications are as follows:
- The number of vehicle counting camera (smart camera) should be equal to direction number at intersection
- Smart Intersection Management Module
- Intersection Monitoring Camera
- Smart Intersection Controller
- Smart Intersection Center Software
- Camera Poles, Cables, Routers, etc. connection equipments
Here’s how to turn a signalized intersection into a smart intersection:
- If there is no fiber line to transfer the information to the center at the intersection, 1 piece 4G data line should be taken for each intersection.
- At least 8 mt. height camera poles should be sewn for every direction
- 1-piece CAT6 Ethernet cable must be installed on each camera pole for data transfer
- After the infrastructure and wiring works are completed, vehicle counting cameras, intersection monitoring cameras, intelligent intersection management module should be installed.
- Calibration and final checks and commissioning must be completed.